Saturday, April 3, 2010

How Can I Help?

Over the years I have been privileged to have great friends who care deeply about me. Sometimes they care so much, they are afraid to approach me about my weight for fear that it would cause an argument or an uncomfortable spot in our friendship. If this applies to you, don't worry about it, because I already am on the path to health. However, if you are interested in joining me, there are 5 things below that you can do to help me accomplish my goal of health.

Please understand that this is not your problem or responsibility to work through. I don't want to burden anyone with responsibility that should fall on my shoulders or have someone else deal with the consequences of my past actions that have led me to this point. I am simply putting this out there because people ask from time to time, "how can I help?".

So getting down to the nitty gritty, here is how you can help:

1. Don't make any changes or feel obligated to do anything differently around me. I am in charge of myself and I want you to feel normal around me. I have the power to say no or steer away from my week spots.

2. If I say no to food or a situation, please don't keep asking me to eat, take food home, or do something I don't feel comfortable doing. I have the power to say no, but it is tough sometimes.

3. Don't give gifts of food, unless you feel strongly that it is something that I feel is healthy for me. An encouraging word or note is much better.

4. Please continue to include me in parties, get-togethers, and social events. I am developing the tools and strength to work through these situations, so "Party on Wayne! Party on Garth!"

5. Overall, just be my friend and feel free to spread the word that I am making a change for the better.

1 comment:

  1. That's what I'm talking about brother! When I get my leg we will take on a bike trail in the near future. We'll be like Ponch & John in CHIPS!!!

    ReplyDelete